So, I know there are some purists out there who shun the microwave. My response to that notion is: How in the world could you??? All I know is, if I want an individual chocolate cake, say, it takes longer for me to put the ingredients together than it does to cook it.
You will never hear me complaining about something that easy.
A big mug, a tablespoon (T) measure, a spoon, and a microwave. Done.
Microwave Chocolate Cake
• 4 T all purpose flour (use whole-wheat if you want to be good, but the texture will be tougher)
• 3 T sugar
• 2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
• pinch of salt
• 1 T water
• 1 1/2 T oil (canola or vegetable — any flavorless oil)
• 1/3 T coffee (you could use instant, dissolved in water)
• drop of vanilla extract
** optional: pinch of cinnamon, chocolate chips (!!)
– Combine and mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a big mug. (If using cinnamon, add here.)
– Add water, oil, coffee, and vanilla. (If using chocolate chips [you want to], add here. It will keep the inside gooey!) Making sure to scrape to the bottom of the mug with a spoon to get any dry bits, mix together until combined.
– Microwave on high for about 45 seconds. Depending on your microwave strength, and how wet or dry you like your cake, continue to cook at 10 second increments until desired cake texture is achieved.
This is truly one of my favorite things to eat, especially late at night… don’t judge. Enjoy!